Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Getting back on the train...

Dear Cancer-

So there’s this train I’ve been on my entire life.  I think it started down the tracks with my parents mandating I “play outside.”  I threw some coals in the engine with track, field hockey and lacrosse through college. An old friend, Angie, pointed out something interesting when she looked at a high school field hockey photo. One in eight women will get breast cancer in their life. There are eight young women in the photo, and I happened to be that one who "took one for the team."  Through the military, the train just got faster as I discovered triathlons, Alaska sports and racing. I was in the best shape of my life right before I found out about you.  I was the epitome of strong.  I remember doing push-ups with my best friend’s little girl on my back, and pumping my body full of good protein multiple times a day.  At the time, it was all in an effort to look awesome for when Ryan returned from Afghanistan.  It’s ironic how everything happens for a reason.  If it wasn’t for gaining muscle and being in shape, chemo would’ve crushed me.  I didn’t eat a lot, and it was extremely difficult to find energy to maintain muscle mass. I lost 20 pounds, 3 pants sizes, and got tired walking up stairs in six months.

Today is day two of my new running program. I’m running a marathon in my 30th year. I figured the year I beat you, I might as well do something else crazy hard. So here I am, jumping back on the train from the platform. Only this time, I respect my body so much more.

Whoot, Whoot!!

C
Denise Burnham, Megan Issac and me Nov. 8, 2011
My work out buddies who motivated me to simply just...start.
PV Seniors 1999
One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had half of your drive and motivation! You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete